Theodore Roszak

Theodore Roszak

Bell Tower for MIT Chapel, 1953-55

Aluminum

Sculpture

Commissioned for Eero Saarinen Chapel, MIT


Collaborating with sculptor Harry Bertoia and architect Eero Saarinen on the MIT chapel, Theodore Roszak designed a spire and bell tower in 1955 (installed in 1956).


The tower and its bell, also designed by Roszak and cast at the MIT foundry, were Roszak’s first major architectural commission. The bell tower provides a fitting pinnacle to the building, with a soaring non-denominational design that evokes symbols of what the artist considered to be three main religions: Judaism, Catholicism, and Protestantism. Roszak’s many preparatory drawings for the tower were exhibited in The Dean’s Gallery in 2005.


Building Number: W15

Accession Number: 1955.002