Herbert L. Beckwith, Bldg. W4

Herbert L. Beckwith

McCormick Hall, 1963

Architecture


Herbert Beckwith was born in 1903 in Midland, Michigan. He earned his master’s degree in architecture at MIT in 1927 and went on to teach at MIT until his retirement in 1968. In 1937, he co-founded the firm of Anderson & Beckwith (later Anderson, Beckwith & Haible) with fellow faculty member Lawrence B. Anderson. Pioneering modern architecture on MIT’s campus, their firm designed eleven buildings for MIT, including the Alumni Pool (1938–39), Rockwell Cage (1947), Briggs Field House (1939), Dorrance Building (1950), Dupont Gymnasium (1959), and McCormick Hall (1962–67). In the Boston area they also designed the Science Building, University of Massachusetts at Boston; the Brookline Town Office Building; and Raytheon's Executive Office Building in Lexington. In 1953–54, Beckwith served as an associate of Eero Saarinen in the development of the Kresge Auditorium and the MIT Chapel. He also designed the U.S. Embassy in Taiwan; the American Insurance Underwriters Building, Tokyo; and various buildings in Yangon, Manila, and Bermuda.


Building Number: W4